[EM] Chris BC reply

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Feb 20 22:42:29 PST 2007

I agree that "minmax" is not a good name. It refers maybe too much to
the algorithm that can be used to seek the winner. Voters should not
worry about that. And if one adds the "(margins)" part in the name
gets even more complicated and algorithm oriented.

For me "minmax" and "minmax(margins)" are a quite practical names
since I'm interested in the algorithmic approach but I agree that the
general audience is not. Therefore public promotion campaigns might
benefit of using some other name.

"Simpson-Kramer" is more human oriented but a bit long. I don't know
it's history. Did those guys invent the method or was it covered
maybe already by Condorcet and Llull? The name gets even more complex
if one adds the margins part to it => "Simpson-Kramer(margins)".

If we are looking for a name for "minmax(margins)" then one could use
some name that refers to the specific characteristics of that method.
I sometime ago used name "Least Additional Votes" but I'm not sure if
that is a good enough. Also simpler "Additional Votes" could do, or
maybe "Additional Votes Method", or something on the pairwise
comparisons like "Beats All" :-). Plenty of names to choose from if
one needs to popularize the method.

Juho