[EM] I want to apologize for the cordialilty-lapse.

Michael Ossipoff mikeo2106 at msn.com
Sat Feb 17 14:05:56 PST 2007

Anyone offering criteria should welcome criticism of them, without anger,
just as I’ve been doing. But sometimes something that you weren’t expecting
takes you by surprise, and you lose your temper.

BC is a criterion, more than it’s “Schulze’s method dressed-up as a
criterion“. That’s because, if “Schulze’s method” were a criterion, it would
be met only by one method. A narrow criterion indeed. BC, on the other hand,
is met by a set of methods (including, but certainly not limited to,
“Schulze’s method”.

But, though BC, even in its name, is called a criterion, I don’t use it as a
criterion, in the sense of offering it as something that I claim that you
should want methods to comply with. That’s what FBC, SFC, GSFC, WDSC, and
SDSC are. They’re worded so as to tell why you’d want their guarantee.

BC is for my own use. I don’t offer it as a criterion. That’s why Benham
caught me off-guard when he told me that BC, which I’d been using, isn’t
useful.  I hadn’t recommended that Chris use it. Though I was ready for
criticism of my criteria, I wasn’t ready for criticism of how I, personally,
determine compliances. It would be different if Chris had raised a
validity-point about the compliance-determination. That’s why, as I said,
Chris caught me off-guard, and I lost my temper. Before that, there hadn’t
been anger when I replied to objections and criticisms about my criteria. So
I apologize that something hitting me from a different direction caught me
off-guard and  caused me to lose my temper.

Mike Ossipoff