[EM] SFC[2]

Michael Ossipoff mikeo2106 at msn.com
Mon Feb 12 21:14:29 PST 2007

Warren says:

Indeed, > "SFC: If no one falsifies a preference, and there's a CW, and a >
majority of all the voters > prefer the CW to candidate Y, and vote
sincerely, then Y shouldn't win." here is a stronger property: SFC2: if
there's a CW, and no one falsifies, then the CW wins. And this property is
obeyed exactly by Condorcet methods. Warren D Smith

I reply:

“SFC2” is met by no method. What if a large number of voters truncate the
CW? That isn’t falsifying.

But if you make “SFC2” meetable and useful, then you have my wording of the
Condorcet Criterion, which I posted here years ago.

Condorcet Criterion (Ossipoff’s wording):

If there’s a CW, and if everyone votes sincerely (as Ossipoff defines
sincere voting), then the CW should win.

[end of Condorcet Criterion definition)

CC is not a stronger property than SFC. CC’s premise requires that everyone
vote sincerely. SFC’s premise requires only that a majority vote sincerely.
It is because CC is weaker that CC is met by every pair-wise-count method,
while SFC is met only by the wv Condorcet methods (and maybe a very few
other methods).

With SFC, that majority has its guarantee as long as others don’t falsify.
With CC no one has a guarantee unless _everyone_ not only doesn’t falsify,
but votes sincerely, as I define sincere voting.

Mike Ossipoff