[EM] Hay voting bust, busted

Jobst Heitzig heitzig-j at web.de
Wed Feb 7 12:04:11 PST 2007

Peter wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-02-07 at 07:07 +0100, Jobst Heitzig wrote:
>> where c = 1 / sum_ij (ri-rj)²
> Should be c = 1 / sqrt(sum_ij (ri-rj)²)

Ah, now I see. It would have been helpful had I noticed that root symbol
of yours :-)

So, like Warren, I'm finally convinced, but you could definitely have
had that easier...

By the way, I find the following way of writing your formula helpful:

Probability of option X winning given that voter V's ballot is drawn :=
1/N + (V's standardized rating of X) / (N-1)sqrt(N)

where "standardized" means the usual thing (expressed rating minus the
mean of all of voter V's ratings, divided by the standard deviation of
those ratings, using the usual version of the standard deviation for
sample data, that is, with denominator N-1).

Yours, Jobst