[EM] Asset Voting

raphfrk at netscape.net raphfrk at netscape.net
Tue Feb 6 15:39:26 PST 2007

 From: abd at lomaxdesign.com
 > This
 > essentially turns an election where winners do not appear from the
 > direct votes into a deliberative process, conducted on behalf of the
 > voters by those trusted by them.

 I think the loss of control would make this a hard sell for people who
 have used PR-STV. They will see it as reducing their choice rather
 than increasing it. The fact that there would (hopefully) be alot more
 candidates would likely be lost.

 One related issue is transfers in PR-STV. Sometimes a party candidate
 is very popular generally. When this candidate is elected (or eliminated)
 alot of his transfers would leave the party. Under PR-STV, he can blame
 the voters. However, under asset he would have to either keep the
 votes within the party or risk the ire of fellow party members.

 Who should I vote for if I like a candidate but don't like the party he
 is representing? Presumably, I should vote for someone who feels
 the same way.

 I think some combination of lists and asset could be good.

 For example, you could use PR-STV, but exhausted votes could be
 given to the first choice on the ballot as assets.

 Another option is that candidates could publish a partial list, and
 would have to stick to the list until it was exhausted.

 The first option preserves the voter control but allows the vote to use
 pure asset if they wish (just rank 1 candidate and leave the rest
 unranked). If everyone does that, then the result is asset but with
 a PR-STV-like elimination sequence.
    Raphfrk
 Interesting site
 "what if anyone could modify the laws"