[EM] MCA, MAMPO, etc.

Forest W Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Fri Feb 23 16:33:23 PST 2007

Chris B. should get more credit for MCA than I, since he has been more
active in bringing it to the fore.

What about 3-slot MAMPO?

Which would be better, 3-slot MAMPO or the following hybrid of MCA and
MAMPO?

Ballots are 3-slot.

If exactly one candidate gets into the highest slot on more than fifty
percent of the ballots, then that candidate is elected.

If two or more candidates get more than fifty percent in the highest
slot, then of these, the one with the smallest maximum pairwise
opposition is elected.

If no candidate gets more than fifty percent in the highest slot, then
the candidate with the most votes in the top two slots wins.

Here's another similar idea for range ballots in general:

The candidate with the highest median rating is elected, unless some
candidates are tied for the highest median rating, in which case, of
them, the one with the smallest max pairwise opposition is elected.

I think that any additional slots after four would yield diminishing
returns for this kind of method, since (unless the electorate was very
fragmented) the top median rating would tend to be in one of the top
two slots, and a couple of other slots would be sufficient to determine
max oppositions.

Forest