[EM] Participation reply

Michael Ossipoff mikeo2106 at msn.com
Mon Feb 12 22:52:11 PST 2007

I’d said:

		But I use Partilcipation when comparing Approval to IRV. Some say that's
dishonest, to use Participation when my favorite method, Condorcet, fails
Participation.

Someone replies:

I would say that it is somewhat misleading and inconsistent, and
counter-productive to the goals of educating people and promoting the
Condorcet criterion.

I reply:

Read on:

		But it isn't, because, unlike Condorcet, IRV has no redeeming qualities to
outweigh its Participation failure.

Someone replies:

To be charitable, that is an absurd exaggeration made purely for the sake of
being provocative.

I reply:

No, Condorcet does have advantages that outweigh its Participation
violation. It is not an absurd exaggeration to say that IRV doesn’t have any
redeeming qualities that can outweigh its Participation failure. Of course
maybe you value different things than I do, and maybe you find considerable
value in IRV, enough to make you want to use it in spite of its
Participation failure.

Mike Ossipoff