[EM] "Banzhaf Myth"

Forest W Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Mon Feb 5 14:22:13 PST 2007

Actually, in Mark Livingston's simulation at

http://www.cs.unc.edu/~livingst/Banzhaf/#results

he did assume that each state voted as a block.

Perhaps you meant that the small population states voted together as a
block?

I can see where that is a possibility, since most of the small
population states share (perceived) interests or rural populations.

However, if we are talking about list PR quotas, I'm not sure that you
can argue that most of the small parties will have some common interest
like ruralness.

It seems to me that we ignore Voting Power considerations at our own
peril, since (as Livingston's simulation shows) they can easily swamp
the fine tuning of PR.

Forest

Warren Smith wrote ...