[Election-Methods] hypothetical question re: Approval

Paul Kislanko jpkislanko at bellsouth.net
Sun Dec 30 22:49:38 PST 2007

Regarding
"Regarding voting power given to the voting junkies...

I tried to alleviate that a bit, by saying it would end at a random time.
So as long as everyone has a chance to come back and tweak their vote 3 or 4
times....would that be enough?  I'm guessing...but can't be sure...that it
would reach an equilibrium and everyone would not be able to improve their
votes."

I still think there'd be a problem with folks who spent a few months doing
their civic duty by learning what the candidates said and thinking about
issues coming up with a ballot and going away being out-strategized by a
concerted effort on the part of voting junkies who are more interested in
getting their party in power than they are about any issue related to the
public interest.

In my idealized example, everyone is in the virtual voting booth at the same
time, and while no one can see any others ballots, everyone can see the
current tallys, and can adjust their ballot based upon the current results.
(This works in theory only if there is a voting both for each voter, and
they can all stay in it until everyone steps out, but the internet model
makes that possible in the virtual world, with "being in the voting booth"
corresponding to "being logged in to the voting server."

Not only do I think this "perfect knowledge" paradigm results in an
equilibrium, I beleve at the closing of the voting (shutdown of the server)
there'd be enough information available to create ranked ballots for each
voter and to count them however one wished.

I think Rob's astraction gives us a way to distinguish "strategic voting in
ones interest" from "strategic manipulation of the results depending upon
the method."

  _____