[Election-Methods] Fwd: FYI - FairVote MN Responds to LawsuitAgainst IRV

Bob Richard electorama at robertjrichard.com
Fri Dec 28 09:44:37 PST 2007

James Gilmour wrote:

 > Are Condorcet methods used for any public elections today?
 > Have they ever been used for any public elections?

Nanson's method was used in the small city of Marquette, Michigan in the
1920s.  See Hoag and Hallet, "Proportional Representation" (New York:
MacMillan, 1926), pp. 491-494.  This source doesn't say anything about
why it was adopted there and, since it was still in use in 1926, could
not have said anything about why it was abandoned.

I read somewhere else that Marquette is the only instance of a
Condorcet-compliant method in public elections, but don't remember where
I saw that and don't know whether to believe it.

--Bob Richard