[Election-Methods] RE : Re: Fwd: FYI - FairVote MN Responds to LawsuitAgainst IRV

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Thu Dec 27 08:20:14 PST 2007

Rob,

--- rob brown <rob at karmatics.com> a écrit :
> On Dec 27, 2007 7:33 AM, James Gilmour <jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > In terms of achieving practical reform it is a serious problem that
> that
> > there are several methods and that there is no consensus on which to
> use.
> >

> And lack of consensus among people whose specialty is finding ways of
> coming
> to consensus does not exactly instill confidence.
>
> Has anyone bothered setting up a condorcet poll on which is the best
> condorcet method?  (there is the obvious issue of which method to choose,
> but since it doesn't actually count for anything, might as well try
> any/all
> of them)

We once performed a poll on the wiki. There was also a separate mailing
list where this topic was discussed.

Here are the wiki links:
http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/Method_evaluation_poll
http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/Method_support_poll

I think I'd have to update my answers somewhat.

There are a number of Condorcet methods that I would support even though I
don't think they're the best. There are others that I wouldn't support.

The winning votes versions of Schulze, Tideman, and Jobst's River method
seem to have an advantage in that it is hard to find other Condorcet
methods that satisfy criteria that they don't.

Kevin Venzke