[Election-Methods] RE : Re: RE : Re: RE : Re: Simple two candidate election

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Sun Dec 23 20:57:50 PST 2007

Dave,

--- Dave Ketchum <davek at clarityconnect.com> a écrit :
> Time to give up on this exchange unless we can find a way to a language
> for communication.

I can clarify anything you want.

> >>Seems to me we are agreed as to goals, but are tripping over what I
> meant
> >>when I said "effectively".  I MEANT to learn how Range works, and then
> do
> >>  the best I could within those rules, such as:
> >>      best - max score to try for winning.
> >>      worst - min score to try for losing.
> >>      soso - this is the hard one - less than max, for I hope for best
> >>win; probably near max to improve odds for soso if best loses.
> >>
> >>I see this as properly using "effectively" as an English word.
> >

> > I'm not sure what you mean. The strategy you suggest for "soso" is not
> very
> > good, which to my mind makes it not effective.
>
> How did we get here?
>       I want best to win, so I certainly want to give all others a lower
> rating.

This isn't Condorcet though. Range doesn't pay you any special attention
for rating one candidate above all the others.

>       But, if best loses, I want to have done the best I can for soso, my
> second choice.

You're on the right track here. You correctly calculate that you want to do
the best you can for soso. On the other end, you have no way to specify
what should happen if best wins or loses. That works in Condorcet, but not
in Range. The incentive to rate soso below best is gone, in Range.

> In these words I see 3 groups:
>       best - which I hope will win.
>       soso - almost belongs in the same group as best, but I want to
> indicate preference for best.
>       worst - of which I hope for all such to lose.

The question is whether you want to indicate preference for best (over
soso) even if, under the given election method, it is a bad strategy.

Kevin Venzke