[Election-Methods] Simple two candidate election

rob brown rob at karmatics.com
Sun Dec 23 12:52:33 PST 2007

On Dec 23, 2007 10:49 AM, Juho <juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Now bak to the question. Majority vote may often not yield the
> optimum outcome (from some chosen high level theoretical viewpoint)
> but majority vote may well be considered to be the best practical
> method for competitive two candidate elections.

Yeah, well that is pretty much my opinion.  With the exception that the
"high level theoretical viewpoint" that supports Range (whether in 2
candidate elections or ones with 3 or more), by ignoring the competitive
nature of elections, makes it a pretty non-useful theory for elections held
among human beings, who have a history of being rather competitive by nature
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War ).

It works pretty good for predicting how non-competive eusocial animals such
as bees might want to hold elections, however.  (
http://rangevoting.org/ApisMellifera.html ,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eusociality )