[Election-Methods] Simple two candidate election

rob brown rob at karmatics.com
Thu Dec 20 23:59:41 PST 2007

On Dec 20, 2007 10:07 PM, Juho <juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> I think there is no single definition of democracy in the sense that
> it would determine which voting method is the best (for all
> elections).

Yeah, not looking for that.  There is a reason I restricted it to one
simple type of election.  (well, I later added another type, numerical
elections)

Arrow's theorem has been reworded "There is no consistent method by
which a democratic society can make a choice (when voting) that is
always fair when that choice must be made from among 3 or more
alternatives."

And all I wanted to know was, can we agree that we can be "always
fair" in a case where there are only two candidates?

My understanding is that  Arrow believed that a two candidate election
was trivially solvable, by a simple majority vote.

Meanwhile, I believe the general opinion of those who advocate Range
Voting is that it is NOT solvable, because Range Voting people are
after a different sort of fairness than what Arrow was after.

That's where I was trying to go with this.  I'm trying, really hard,
to understand where Range Voting fans are coming from.

Sorry if it just confused people.

-rob