[Election-Methods] Simple two candidate election

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Dec 20 22:07:33 PST 2007

I think there is no single definition of democracy in the sense that
it would determine which voting method is the best (for all
elections). Majority, Condorcet and random ballot are good answers
but maybe for different questions (in some special cases even Range
could be a correct answer).

One basic example is electing a (giant) pizza for a group that often
eats out together. The correct answer might be to use random ballot
and eat 49% of the times pizza A and 51% of the times pizza B. But
when electing a political leader (with a strong mandate) to a country
random ballot may not be the correct answer. If the support is e.g.
45% Bush, 45% Clinton, 10% Hitler it may be better to just use a
method where one elects randomly either Bush or Clinton (instead of
electing Hitler with 10% probability). Even when we have 55% Bush,
45% Hitler it may be better to just pick the majority favourite.

There are also other possible criteria. In some elections we may want
to elect the alternative that people like a lot. In other elections
we may want to elect the alternative that people dislike as little as
possible. In the leader example above I obviously wanted (roughly) to
elect a compromise that is ok to most of the citizens and that is a
compromise rather than an extremist.

Sometimes there is no method that would meet the (possibly very well
defined) needs e.g. due to problems with strategic voting and one has
to pick a method that is closest to what one wants.

In short, different methods for different needs. Some methods are
good for many types of elections but not necessarily for all.

Juho