[Election-Methods] Borda-elimination, a Condorcet method for public elections?

Ian Fellows ifellows at ucsd.edu
Thu Dec 20 11:37:15 PST 2007

Hi all,

    I've been thinking a bit lately about the lack of Condorcet methods in
public elections. I have written a rough outline of why Borda-elimination
(Baldwin) is an attractive option for implementation in the public sphere.

If you are interested, check out:
http://thefell.googlepages.com/statisticalsnipstprelections

Does anyone have thoughts on why Condorcet methods have not been used more
often? Are there proponents here of different winner criteria (i.e. Borda),
or is there a relatively strong consensus that if a Condorcet winner exists
he should be elected? If so, what methodology do you think is 1.
understandable by the public, 2. Theoretically justifiable, 3. Resistant to
tactical voting

Cheers,

Ian Fellows
Statistician