[Election-Methods] RE : Re: RE : Re: Primary Elections using a "Top 2/Single Transferable Voting Method"

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 19 10:45:39 PST 2007

On Dec 19, 2007, at 16:38 , Kevin Venzke wrote:

> I guess by "no parties" we mean that party affiliation is not the
> overwhelming consideration of voters, and the party leadership's
> decisions
> are not the overwhelming consideration of those candidates who are
> elected.
>
> It's basically a state of very weak party discipline.

The "discipline" and "understandability" properties of the party
structure are often in sync but not always. It is possible to have a
very clear party structure (understandable and one that clearly maps
the candidates to ideologies) but a weak discipline. The party
structure could be e.g. hierarchical. The social democratic party
could have well announced left and right wings, a green section etc.

Juho