[Election-Methods] RE : Re: RE : Re: Primary Elections using a "Top 2/Single Transferable Voting Method"

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Wed Dec 19 06:38:35 PST 2007

Hi,

--- Abd ul-Rahman Lomax <abd at lomaxdesign.com> a écrit :
> >No parties
> >+ less hidden cabinet decisions
> >+ free opinions
> >+ also minority opinions present
> >+/- less group power (coordinated voting according to majority
> >opinion of the party)
> >- more populism
> >- candidates may tell different stories to different potential voters
> >- different stories in different elections
>
> There will always be "parties." In a DP system we call them
> "caucuses." They are combinations of members who agree on something
> and who may act in concert about it.

I guess by "no parties" we mean that party affiliation is not the
overwhelming consideration of voters, and the party leadership's decisions
are not the overwhelming consideration of those candidates who are elected.

It's basically a state of very weak party discipline.

My thinking lately is that combining the ability to vote against a
candidate with two rounds of voting would make a two-party situation very
unstable, even if the government were of the simplest parliamentary
structure.

Basically the second round would typically be between the major party
candidate not rejected in the first round, and whichever candidate happened
to come in third in the first round. At the very least, this should leave
room for a third "major" party to prosper.

Kevin Venzke