[Election-Methods] RE : Re: Primary Elections using a "Top 2/Single Transferable Voting Method"

Jonathan Lundell jlundell at pobox.com
Tue Dec 18 17:49:01 PST 2007

On Dec 18, 2007, at 2:26 PM, Juho wrote:

> My use of term "populism" is maybe not quite proper English. The
> intention is to refer to behaviour where the politician expresses
> views that easily get the support of large (maybe not so educated/
> knowledgeable) masses (but are not typically that much appreciated
> by the best experts / responsible leaders). Typical extreme themes
> might be e.g. "if I'll be elected the taxes of low and mid class
> will be cut to half", "if I'll be elected there will be no more
> unemployment in 6 months".
>
> What would be a good term for this kind of political behaviour
> (benefiting of popular but not so sensible themes)?

Populism is actually a reasonable term for what you're talking about;
it's sufficiently ambiguous. Demagoguery would be the term that has an
unambiguously negative meaning, even though its original meaning
wasn't necessarily negative.
Same dictionary:

demagogue
a political leader who seeks support by appealing to popular desires
and prejudices rather than by using rational argument.
• (in ancient Greece and Rome) a leader or orator who espoused the
cause of the common people.