[Election-Methods] RE : Re: RE : Re: RE : Re: Primary Elections using a "Top 2/Single Transferable Voting Method"

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Mon Dec 17 18:26:17 PST 2007

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 21:59:08 +0100 (CET) Kevin Venzke wrote:
> Dave,
>
> --- Dave Ketchum <davek at clarityconnect.com> a écrit :
>
>>Interesting that Kevin dares emphasize French in an environment where
>>many
>>DEMAND "English only".
>>      To go with this, he has done better than average as to being
>>familiar with the US Constitution.
>

> I'm not sure what you mean by "emphasize French"?

Nothing serious - such as "Ne gardez plus qu'une seule adresse mail !
Copiez vos mails vers Yahoo! Mail http://mail.yahoo.fr"

>>      Still, he would get mayors in the act, in which I see no value.
>>
>>Actually in NY, and I believe in most states, the electors mechanically
>>fulfil Constitution rules, without their names or personal beliefs being
>>of interest to voters.  Rather, the voters are interested in President
>>and
>>VP and vote, thinking of their goal, without thinking of the electors who
>>will be part of the implementation.
>

> This is more or less the issue that Abd and myself are discussing. It seems
> like a missed opportunity when the "electors" have no real freedom to make
> the one decision they have, because the voters already know how they want
> the decision to be made.
>
> That's why I brought up mayors as an example. You elect a mayor to run a
> city. If he can run your city, surely he could be trusted to vote
> responsibly for a president (or for his preference for his party's
> presidential nominee).

This is stretching it.  A mayor, given the power implied here and
considering what it takes to get themselves elected, could be tempted to
introduce serious trouble.

Looking back to the Constitution, the Legislatures get authority and
responsibility:
      The voters are not invited in, except to whatever extent their
Legislature chooses (if any).
      The electors are included, but the Legislatures do not offer them
any control - just to act in a play for the bare minimum of what the
Constitution requires - usually need NOTHING beyond ability to be obedient.
      Thus the electors are not needed - except using them as above is
less effort than redoing a bit of script.

> Kevin Venzke
                  If you want peace, work for justice.