[Election-Methods] RE : Re: RE : Re: RE : Re: Primary Elections using a "Top 2/Single Transferable Voting Method"

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Mon Dec 17 12:59:08 PST 2007

Dave,

--- Dave Ketchum <davek at clarityconnect.com> a écrit :
> Interesting that Kevin dares emphasize French in an environment where
> many
> DEMAND "English only".
>       To go with this, he has done better than average as to being
> familiar with the US Constitution.

I'm not sure what you mean by "emphasize French"?

>       Still, he would get mayors in the act, in which I see no value.
>
> Actually in NY, and I believe in most states, the electors mechanically
> fulfil Constitution rules, without their names or personal beliefs being
> of interest to voters.  Rather, the voters are interested in President
> and
> VP and vote, thinking of their goal, without thinking of the electors who
> will be part of the implementation.

This is more or less the issue that Abd and myself are discussing. It seems
like a missed opportunity when the "electors" have no real freedom to make
the one decision they have, because the voters already know how they want
the decision to be made.

That's why I brought up mayors as an example. You elect a mayor to run a
city. If he can run your city, surely he could be trusted to vote
responsibly for a president (or for his preference for his party's
presidential nominee).

Kevin Venzke