[Election-Methods] RE : Re: RE : Re: Is the Condorcet winner always the best?

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 12 11:30:49 PST 2007

On Dec 12, 2007, at 17:44 , Kevin Venzke wrote:

> the thing that isn't obvious is that implementing an
> approval cutoff would result in people using it in a sincere way
> rather
> than as a strategic tool.

> --- Diego Santos <diego.renato at gmail.com> a écrit :
>>

>> A "approval quorum" rule will avoid low utility CW to win. And,
>> opposit
>> Jonanthan argument, an approval cuttoff does not add too much
>> complexity:
>> it
>> is like a hypothetical candidate NOTB (none of the below).
>
> This makes me repeat my comment: Why desire voters to rank among
> the NOTB
> candidates if the whole purpose of specifying NOTB is to allow us
> to ignore
> those rankings?

The approval cutoff would probably add some more complexity than just
marking the NOTB limit in the ranking. That is because the optimal
strategy in marking the NOTB limit is probably not to mark it
according to one's sincere opinion. At least in basic Approval that
is the case.

In basic Condorcet (with pure rankings only) the typical optimal
strategy is to vote sincerely (the remaining strategic cases can be
seen as exceptions to this main rule).

I don't fully agree that "the whole purpose of specifying NOTB is to
allow us to ignore those rankings". It think in this case it is good
to allow a voter to say "I don't support A and B but in the case that
one of them will be elected I prefer A to B".

Juho