[Election-Methods] Is the Condorcet winner always the best?

Jonathan Lundell jlundell at pobox.com
Mon Dec 10 20:51:02 PST 2007

On Dec 10, 2007, at 8:00 PM, Dave Ketchum wrote:

> Since A & C are tied, you cannot do any better than B.
>
> Get far enough away, and A or C will properly win.
>
> I do not like '>>' for Condorcet.

'>>' seems like a useful shorthand to describe the "sincere
preferences" of the voters here.

It's easy to accept that this profile:

46: A > B >> C
  5: B >> A > C
  5: B >> C > A
44: C > B >> A

...should choose B as a good compromise, with the A voters saying A is
good, B OK, C very bad. But Diego's profile suggests to me that the A
voters are saying something like A is good, B is bad, C is very bad.
Not that they can express it in a normal linear ballot, just that
we're being told a little more about their opinions.

In my example, the effect of a later-no-harm voting rule is evident.
In Diego's, a rule (such as STV) that elects A doesn't seem
unreasonable to me.

The problem is that with an ordinary linear ballot (no '>>'), we can't
distinguish between the cases. Not that I'm arguing that we should
employ '>>'; offhand, that strikes me as a complication to be avoided.