[Election-Methods] Challenge: Elect the compromise when there'reonly 2 factions

Jobst Heitzig heitzig-j at web.de
Fri Aug 31 11:53:50 PDT 2007

Dear Adb ul-Rahman,

> I dislike, by the way, describing voters as selfish if they vote in
> their own interest. That's the default, they *should* vote in their
> own interest.

That is probably a language problem again. I thought "selfish" was a synonym for "acting in my own interest only", is it not? However, the latter was what I meant to say.

> What I ended up suggesting was that the problem is resolved if the
> voters negotiate. It's possible to set up transfers of value (money?)
> such that the utilities are equalized, and that the benefit of
> selecting C is thus distributed such that the A voters do *not* lose
> by voting for C. If they vote for A, they get A but no compensation.
> If they vote for C, they get C plus compensation. If the utilities
> were accurate -- Juho claimed that they were *not* utilities, but
> that then makes the problem incomprehensible in real terms -- then
> overall satisfication is probably optimized by the choice of C with
> compensation to the A voters, coming from the C voters. Certainly the
> reverse is possible, that is, the A voters could pay the C voters
> compensation to elect A, but it would have to be much higher compensation!

I understood this. But I consider it quite absurd that the A voters should be "compensated" for anything. This would be only justified if something was taken from them which in a sense belonged to them rightfully. What my arguing is all about is that I don't think the A voters have such a right to the certain election of A, at most one could perhaps say the have a right to A getting at least 55% winning probability. So, if they would prefer to have A with 55% and B with 45% over having C with 100%, only then one could perhaps argue that they should be compensated if C was to be elected with certainty.

Yours, Jobst