[Election-Methods] Challenge

Forest W Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Wed Aug 22 11:40:38 PDT 2007

Under strategic voting with good information, any decent deterministic
method (including Approval) would elect the Condorcet Winner A .
Uncertainty as to the faction sizes could get C elected, but not
necessarily.

So some randomness is essential for the solution of this problem.

The indeterminism has to be built into the method in order to make sure
that it is there in all cases.

Jobst's D2MAC would work here because the compromises' 80 percent
rating is above the threshold for sure election when the two faction
sizes differ by ten percent or more, if I remember correctly.

If the compromise had only a 60 percent rating, for example, optimal
strategy might give A a positive chance of winning.

It is paradoxical that randomness, usually associated with uncertainty,
is the key to making C the certain winner.

Look up D2MAC in the archives for a more quantitative analysis.

I hope that this doesn't prematurely take the wind out of the challenge.

Forest