[Election-Methods] Elect the Compromise (correction)

Jobst Heitzig heitzig-j at web.de
Thu Aug 30 07:52:04 PDT 2007

Hey folks,

it seems I got my numbers wrong when saying there was a group strategy
equilibrium in Borda...
Because when the situation is
55 C>A>B
45 C>B>A
the 55 can still change the outcome to A by voting
55 A>B>C instead.
Only this is not an equilibrium either. Seems there is no equilibrium at
all...

However, other scoring methods will work, e.g. the one proposed by Juho
and the one Forest announced to me privately (in order to keep the fun):
Vote against one.

Still, all of them have the cloning problem, so we should try to find a
clone-proof scoring method that will do. I have the impression that the
following comes near to it:
Ballots are complete rankings without equal rankings, scores are
determined like this: Option X gets a point for each tuple (V,W) where V
is any voter and W is any voter who ranked X above that option which was
ranked last by V.

For example:
55 A>C>B
45 B>C>A