[Election-Methods] Challenge: Elect the compromise when there'reonly 2 factions

raphfrk at netscape.net raphfrk at netscape.net
Thu Aug 30 05:19:33 PDT 2007

From: Paul Kislanko <jpkislanko at bellsouth.net>

> If I understand the meaning of the original example correctly, the answer is
> Asset voting.

> Give every voter 100 points. By the conditions given, both the A and B
> voters think C is 80% as good as their true favorite, so give 5/9 of their
> points to their favorite and 4/9 to C.
>
> A's total is 55 x 5/9 = 275/9
> B's total is 45 x 5/9 = 225/9
> C's total is 55 x 4/9 + 45 x 4/9 = 100 x 4/9 = 400/9 so C wins.

That isn't how asset voting works.  You assign your vote to the elector
that you most trust.  The elector can then assign the vote to any candidate
after negotitation.

There is a fractional version, but if you trust someone with 4/5 of your
vote, why don't you trust them with 100% of your vote ?

If the candidates are the electors, then the votes would go: