[Election-Methods] Elect the Compromise

Forest W Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Tue Aug 28 15:05:43 PDT 2007

Jobst,

so you were thinking of Borda where equal rankings are not allowed. Why
didn't I think of that?

I was thinking of "vote against one," which could be called Reverse
Plurality, the base method for each step of the Coombs sequential
elimination method. Equivalently, it could be described as, "vote for
exactly two candidates."

This method would elect C because the 45 in favor of B would have no
reason to vote against B or C, so they would all vote against A.  If
the other 55 voted more against C than B, then B would win, so they
will vote more against B than C, which allows C to win.

Unlike Borda, this solution works even if the ratings for C are low:

55 A>>C>B
45 B>>C>A

I'm not advocating Reverse Plurality, but it is perhaps the simplest
deterministic solution to the challenge.

Forest