[Election-Methods] Mixing Condorcet and Approval...

Chris Benham chrisjbenham at optusnet.com.au
Sun Aug 26 21:42:27 PDT 2007

Stephane Rouillon wrote:

>I would suggest a Condorcet method usind residual approbation weights
>with an approval cut-off (noted "|" ).
>It's a mix of Condorcet, IRV and approval.
>
>The idea is:
>1) to rank candidates using a Condorcet (ranked pairs, winning votes
>for example) method;
>2) eliminate last candidate like in IRV and give him the weight
>according to the number of voters
>having that candidate as last approved;
>3) repeat 1) and 2) until winner selection.
>
>Stephane,
>Am I right in gathering that the approval cutoffs don't actually have
>any effect on who wins??!
>
>Chris Benham
>
>33: A > B | C
>31: B > C | A
>33: C | A > B
>3:   B | A > C
>
>C is eliminated with 33 votes as support.
>B is eliminated with 34 votes as support.
>A is last eliminated but receives no rallying voters and finishes with 33
>votes as support.
>
>B wins.

Stephane,

I think I now get it, but to say that an  "eliminated" candidate wins is
very strange because in the election
method context "eliminate" normally means "disqualify from winning, drop
from the ballots and henceforth ignore".
 From your original description it seemed that the approvals served only
to give all the candidates each a final "approbation"
score (just for decoration).

As I now understand it, this method just looks like a very complicated
way of nearly always electing the Approval winner.

49: A | > C
48: B | > C
03: C | > B

C>B 52-48,  C>A 52-48,  B>A 51-49.  RP(wv) order C>B>A.

By my calculation your method elects the Approval winner A, violating
Majority Loser, Majority for Solid Coalitions and
the Condorcet criterion.

Is that right?

Chris Benham