[Election-Methods] Challenge: Elect the compromise

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Sat Aug 25 19:55:56 PDT 2007

At 09:01 AM 8/25/2007, Jobst Heitzig wrote:
>Dear Steve,
>
> > Although Jobst may not have intended this assumption, I will continue to
> > make the assumption that the B minority's preference intensity for the
> > compromise C over A is much greater than the A majority's preference
> > intensity for A over C.
>
>Sorry, I had just not read carefully the first time. Of course that
>interpretation is consistent with what I had in mind, although I do
>not believe that preference "intensities" belonging to different
>persons can be compared.

Yet by asserting that C is the best winner, the "just" winner was the
word you used, you are doing just that. The problem is that strong
preference for one voter may be weak preference for another,
particularly when ratings (or utilities) have been normalized such
that, for a specific candidates set, max rating and min rating are
the same for all voters.

Humans are not necessarily rational, but the only theory we have for
rational behavior is utility theory, and supposedly irrational
behavior may be explainable by hidden utilities. That is, if I have a
strong value, as an example, for being "sincere" and "honest," I
might vote against my own apparent interests in order to vote
"sincerely" or "honestly." Some game theory that does not take into
account the matter of being sincere or honest might judge my behavior
irrational. Not necessarily.

It is fairly obvious that humans do have some kind of utility
scaling, it shows in our language about making choices, we "weigh"
them. And the experience of making choices can feel very much like
hefting objects to see which is heaviest. Most of us would not sit
down and calculate, for example, dollar values for various candidates
winning an election, but we *could*, and if there were a system in
place where votes were bids, having a cost, we *would*.

And economic return is, by far, not the only consideration that can
nevertheless be measured in, say, dollars. How much would you pay for
an election outcome? Suppose you knew that if enough people voted
like you, and you got what you voted for, you would have to pay the
cost associated with it. That cost could include actual
implementation cost plus compensation for losses incurred by others.
(If we decide to seize land by eminent domain and build a school, the
costs certainly will include compensation for the seized property.)

Now, utilities are, by custom around here, stated in positive units.
If we are seeking to maximize individual utility or overall utility,
that functions well enough. But, in reality, our impression of
choices is bipolar, we are attracted by a choice -- and thus would be
willing to pay for it, or we are repelled by it, and thus, to accept
the choice voluntarily, we would require compensation. Which, for
some choices, could be a *lot* of compensation (probably,
collectively, dwarfing the resources of the wealthiest person on the planet).

(If you knew that you could, with the collective compensation
obtained, save millions of lives by, say, allowing the election of
Bush at a time like 2000, even though you knew, let's say, that what
he will do will cost hundreds of thousands of lives, how would you
choose? If you think the answer is obvious, think again. We make
choices all the time that involve loss of life for a few, at least.
How much do we put into neonatal medical care? We use automobiles,
when it is known that there will be a certain level of accidents, and
on and on. Actually taking responsibility for the choices we make as
a society is *difficult*, which is one reason why, I suspect, people
are averse to realizing how much power they have. If we think it is
all controlled by *them*, why, we aren't responsible for all the bad
stuff that comes down. It's *their* fault.)

In any case, a more realistic statement of utilities would be one a
scale that includes negative numbers; zero then represents a neutral
point, where one is neither attracted nor averse to an outcome. One
would not pay for this outcome, nor would one need compensation to
accept it. (Except by comparison, which is another matter).

This kind of discussion often brings up a huge red herring: that some
people can afford to pay more than others, and, allegedly, a Clarke
tax would essentially create a plutocracy. The flaw in this is that,
almost by definition, the wealthy are few.

The wealthy are wealthy precisely because the stand atop a pyramid of
people of lesser means. Without that pyramid, their wealth would be
meaningless. What would a million dollars, or a billion dollars, mean
if there were not people of lesser means willing to work for you or
sell you things for that money? Money is a social convention, a means
whereby we allocate and distribute power and control. If someone has
obtained money, they can then mobilize, with it, certain resources of
society as they see fit.

We do not, in general, have any agreement, any social contract, that
requires us to recognize the value of money, except for debts stated
in specific currency. If nobody is willing to shave the Barber of
Seville, he cannot compel it with money, he can only offer it. The
price someone would charge for that shave is not fixed, in general.
(It can be in places, and those are places where there is no
democracy, there is, instead, repression and oligarchy and coercion.
The actual payment for the shave is in two parts: one, an exchange of
currency, and, two, we won't put you in jail.)

Studying utility in elections through utilities does not mean that we
should actually encourage "sincere voting" by attaching some
proportional cost to the votes. Rather, I bring up such things as a
Clarke tax and bidding for votes to point out that there *can* be
commensurable utilities, and that, indeed, it is these utilities
which are maximized by fully sincere, non-normalized votes in a Range
system. It is not necessarily the normalized utilities that Jobst fed
us. Those are utilities which have been modified to expand the
preference strengths for a particular candidate set into a single
vote span, the Range in a Range election.

> > (I am NOT saying there is a way to measure or
> > compare sincere preference intensities or utilities suitable for input
> > into a good vote tallying algorithm.)  Without an assumption like this,
> > we would have no reason to believe C is better than A for the society.

Eppley is almost entirely correct. When you say "no way," it raises
my hackles a little. There is a way. Not perfect, but a way, and that
way is to, precisely, assume that the scales are commensurable,
because, on average, they will be. But that does not mean that they
are commensurable *in this election*, unless we make the assumption,
which is what he did.

>I think we have! The reasoning is this: 55% like A best, 45% like B best.

Yes. We have that.

>  Therefore the "democratic benchmark" solution with which we should
> compare prospective solutions is the lottery that elects A with 55%
> probability and B with 45% probability.

The algorithm has not been explained. I'm going to guess that its a
pure preference election, and the percentages are assigned to the
first preference of that percentage of voters.

>  Now, all voters prefer C to this benchmark, but only 55% prefer A
> to this benchmark and only 45% prefer B to the benchmark. From this
> point of view C is a better solution than A is.

Do all voters prefer C to the benchmark? It's true that we can
neglect the commensurability of utilities here, all that matters is
that the utilities are internally useful.

The A voters look at this: return for A, 100. Return for B, 0 Return
for benchmark, 55 average, Return for C, 80.
The B voters look at this: return for A, 0. Return for B, 100. Return
for benchmark, 45 average. Return for C, 80.

Yes, C is definitely a good bet for all voters. I wouldn't take the
risk, myself.

"From this point of view," is the kicker, though. The point of view
is one which assigns the benchmark based on the number of first
preference votes. The result is, certainly, that C is the best
choice, *but* we have elsewhere shown that with some real utility
patterns, i.e, absolute costs or benefits, C is quite unjust. All
voters prefer C to the benchmark, but that does not mean that the
outcome is the best outcome.

Only if you can establish that the benchmark is fair would this
actually work. And clearly it is not, if the normalization of
utilities has caused a major loss of information. If the utilities
are equally normalized, that is, the full range of preference is the
same for all the voters, then the benchmark is indeed fair. But if
the B voters, for example, really have very little at stake, overall,
and what we are seeing with their utilities is really a small
preference range, overall -- as might become visible if there were
two more candidates that everyone disliked, one the one side, and
that everyone loved, on the other -- and then the A voters actually
have a much larger preference range, C could be a very bad choice.

In a previous response, I have the example of a choice of site for
some public facility. If the votes are distances (inverted Range,
lowest total wins), and the A voter ratings were A 0, B 100, C 20,
whereas the B voter ratings were A 10, B 0, C 2, we would have the
same relative ratings as what Jobst gave us. But the absolute ratings
would be quite different. And the optimum choice, overall, would be A. Totals:

55 A   0, B 5500, C 1100
45 A 450, B    0, C   90
------------------------
    A 450, B 5500, C 1190.

A is clearly the optimal choice for the community.

Sure, the A voters would prefer C to the benchmark. Because the
benchmark is quite unfair.

>But I hope that also without this kind of reasoning it should be
>obvious that a compromise which everybody likes almost as most as
>her favourite is a better election outcome than one of the polar favourites...

Depends on what "almost" means. Please consider the site choice
election I described. It just happens to be a way of describing
utilities that makes them commensurable, and it shows how
normalization distorts them, making small preferences equal to large
ones, sometimes.

> > In other words, I believe
> > we should confine ourselves to solving the "Tyranny of the Nearly
> > Indifferent Majority" but not try to solve the "Tyranny of the
> > Passionate Majority."

Of course. But the solution is already with us. It is full
deliberative process, undertaken in a small group that represents the
whole society. Because of various flaws in the system, it does not
always work under current conditions, but it *does* work much more
often than simple preference analysis would indicate. In a
functioning legislature, members *do* work out compromises that bring
broad support. This doesn't make for such entertaining news as the
issues where they duke it out, eking out a small victory for one side
or the other, which is sometimes a pyrrhic victory. But its normal
business for most legislatures, most of the time. Recent years have
been bad for the U.S. Congress in this respect, though.

No election method is going to take the place of this; however,
deliberative process can choose and use *any* election method it
considers helpful. I've seen polling used to quite good effect,
bringing a result where the clear preference of a majority was passed
over to select an option that enjoyed, in the end, unanimous consent.
It's even possible, here, that the final choice was not the S.U.
optimizer, in a simple sense, this was an organization where group
unity was highly valued. That is, making a choice that had universal
acceptance had *extra* value. So what happened was that the majority
shifted its preference when impacted by the knowledge of preference
strengths (and the reasons behind the preferences).

>You suggest not to solve the problem of the "Tyranny of the
>Passionate Majority"? Why? Shouldn't problems be solved?

The solution to that problem is education of the majority, and good
leadership, not substituting some hidden higher authority, which is
the bottom line if election method trumps the consent of the majority.

> > In the real world, it is much easier to elect a compromise than Mr.
> > Lomax seems to be saying below, because in the real world the set of
> > alternatives is not fixed to {A,B,C} by nature (nor by Jobst).

"Seems to be" was a correct hedge. It is *often* true that the
problems I note with election methods are ameliorated in the "real
world" by various factors, typically ones that introduce elements of
deliberation. For example, we do not spring elections on voters with
no preparation. There is, first of all, the nomination process, which
is part of the *real* election system (one which some want to
eliminate, thus moving toward pure aggregation, a bad move on
principle). And then there is the campaign and public debate. All of
this means that there is more than meets the eye, there is no just
the final poll to analyze. And then, of course, many voters do vote
strategically. They take into account poll information as well as
their general sense of how their friends and acquaintances feel.

>   Most
> > procedures allow a very small minority to add an alternative to the set
> > being voted on. (Under Robert's Rules of Order, for instance, only two
> > people are required: one to propose alternative D and the other to
> > "second" the proposal.)

Of course, I've noted similar many times. Eppley is referring to the
standard process for nomination, in some peer organizations. In
others, petitions are required, and it gets dicier, sometimes the
"small minorith" is too large, or the process too cumbersome.

More often, I mention that standard deliberative process for election
by ordinary motion not only allows the equivalent of nomination as
mentioned (it just takes two to insert a candidate into the process),
but it is also Condorcet compliant.

If not for problems of scale, we would not need election methods at
all, beyond being able to participate in deliberative process and
vote Yes or No on the motions as they appear and are modified to
their final form. Since I'm proposing that representation does not
require elections, indeed, elections for representation, in the sense
of contests where there are winners and losers, guarantee loss of
representation; under the current system, it is a reasonable
assertion that most people are not represented in our legislatures,
other than by representatives chosen by someone other than them.

So, if I had my druthers, and I think ultimately I will, though not
necessarily in my lifetime, which is getting fairly short, I would
make almost all of what we call "election methods" footnotes in
history, what people did when they didn't know better. What would
remain are two things: pure and full chosen representation in
process, where only the most intransigent and isolated of individuals
are not represented, *and* direct voting for those who are willing to
vote in public (Asset Voting for the rest). Because of the direct
voting option, even highly isolated voters are not deprived of their
right to consent or not consent to any public action.

The other thing that would remain is voting on issues, and among the
issues is the election of officers. While election methods can be
used to create a nomination, in the end any election must be ratified
-- i.e., accepted -- by a majority, as a minimum. Healthy societies
would strive to see them accepted by much more than that.

>It seems you and Adb ul-Rahman try to convince us that the problem I
>posed does not exist in the real world. Well, if you really think
>so, I can't help it.

No, I think we are pointing out to Jobst some things that he has
overlooked, some assumptions that he has made which are distorting.

Further, the comment about the real world problems not being so bad
was not intended, I'm sure, to say that there was no problem, only
that the real situation is not as bad as we might think just from the
analysis that has been presented so far. The "tyranny of the
majority" is ameliorated by many factors, in actual practice.
Logrolling is only part of this.

>Anyway, it would be nice if you could still give a hint what kind of
>method you would suggest to solve the stated problem *assuming* that
>the problem exists :-)

Certainly I think I have done that.