[Election-Methods] Challenge: Elect the compromise when there're only 2 factions

Jobst Heitzig heitzig-j at web.de
Sat Aug 25 06:16:07 PDT 2007

Dear Abd ul-Rahman,

> Okay, here is my solution. The B voters gain some very substantial
> advantage for the election of C over the favorite of the A voters,
> who have only a substantially smaller preference for A over C.
>
> So the B voters offer something of value to the A voters to
> compensate them for their loss.

That is certainly an interesting proposal. It seems to be based on the assumption that the "just" solution is to elect A and that in order to get the compromise, the minority should pay for it. Although that would probably solve the problem, this is not how I think society should work: I don't think nearly half of the electorate should pay the other half for getting what is the more just solution in my eyes. Perhaps that is a difference in culture?

> The original conditions assume commensurability of utilities,

No, definitely not! I would never propose such a thing! I only said that those who believe in such measures may interpret the given numbers in that way...

Yours, Jobst