[Election-Methods] RE : Corrected "strategy in Condorcet" section

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Sat Aug 18 19:08:11 PDT 2007

At 03:22 AM 8/18/2007, Juho wrote:
>I forgot to mention this special case that doesn't touch the main
>theme of this mail stream but is maybe worth noting anyway.
>
>An example with two parties, ABC and DEF. The voters have zero
>information. But the strategy of the DEF party pays off and they will
>win. Not an easy strategy to implement but it sometimes works.
>
>30 A=B=C>D=E=F
>10 D=E=F>A>B>C
>10 D=E=F>B>C>A
>10 D=E=F>C>A>B

What interests me is that the effective of strategic voting is being
studied with a case showing, for some method or other, a success. The
presumption in this scenario is that the rankings are not sincere,
they are merely a device for winning in a situation where there is a
tie. But it's zero knowledge. The DEF party does not know that it is
going to be a tie. They don't even know if it is close.

Now, if the votes are sincere, we can still look at this scenario and
consider whether or not the result is reasonable. Is it? I'm not sure
of the method being studied, I haven't been following the discussion,
but I suspect that some methods would assume that the defeats created
by the DEF party indicate something about the desirability of a DEF
candidate over an ABC candidate, when clearly the actual situation is
that there is no real cause fo this. I've never studied the various
Condorcet resolution methods.

Further, I look at this and notice that the ABC party is claiming to
be totally indifferent as to the pairwise elections between D, E, and
F. Odd, don't you think? Similarly, the statement that the voting
pattern of the DEF party is a strategy, difficult to pull off, but
that "sometimes works," implies that the DEF party "sincerely" has no
preference between the ABC candidates.

Given that, I suspect, we have never seen this pattern appear in an
election, what would really be correct is that "sometimes it *could*
work. However, wouldn't it be relevant to ask, if this is zero
information, which is more likely: that it would work, or that it
would result in a worse election outcome, for most of the strategic
voters, than if they voted sincerely?

Here, what has been developed, I assume, is a piece of evidence that
it can be strategically advantageous, with these methods, to
distribute a coherent party vote as, instead, of equalities, split
preferences that cancel each other out. I assume that this is because
the method is making an assumption about the meaning of defeats and
"defeat strengths," a quite dicey proposition with a method that does
not measure preference strength.

There is no risk to the strategy described *if the DEF voters
actually have no significant preference between the ABC candidates.*
In that case, they are merely tailoring the exact pattern of their
voting to what is most effective in the system.

What is a preference? Often in these discussions, we consider that it
is obvious. However, the term must be understood as a member of a
pair of opposites, in a sense. There is a preference or there is no
preference. Here, there is an assumption that there is no preference.
However, it is asserted here that there is an advantage to voting a
preference, under some conditions, when there is not. Does this not
create a preference? Only if we assume that preferences exist in the
abstract, entirely aside from the context of the election, and the
election is merely collecting these ideally undistorted preferences
to determine the result, would we be able to say that, no, it does
not. We could then assert that preference has nothing to do with the
election process; I would prefer A to B no matter what election
method is involved.

But we routinely disregard the effect of so-called "irrelevant
alternatives." Sure, I may prefer A to B, but that preference may so
greatly pale in comparison to my preference for another candidate, C,
that I cannot, in conscience, cast any vote that would improve the
chances that  A or B would defeat C.

In Approval, this is simple: I vote for C and thus effectively equate
A and B at bottom rank. Likewise in a ranked method, I'd do this if
allowed. Since I have a preference between A and B, and in a method
that allows more than the binary ranking of Approval, some would
claim that my vote is strategic if I rank them equally.

In a ranked method, though, if I'm forced to rank all candidates on
pain of having my ballot thrown out, then I would translate C>A=B to
one of the two remaining rankings, say C>A>B. What is offensive about
this vote is that it creates an equality between the preference
strength of the C>B pair with that of the A>B pair, which is
drastically not the case.

Even though I have a preference between A and B, C>A=B is a more
accurate expression of my sincere opinion than C>A>B or C>B>A.

The whole concept of strategic voting is problematic. Some methods do
reward clear distortion of preference, i.e., preference reversal,
which is intuitively offensive. However, converting a supposed
equality into a preference is trivial. It was said that it was
difficult to pull it off.

But if we take as an additional condition that the DEF voters have no
preference at all between the ABC candidates, which was implied, it
would actually be quite easy. The DEF party would simply provide a
reward for voting according to a certain patter. The reward would not
be personal to the voters, for that would be unlawful, but it would
be some lawful public action that the voters would wish to see take
place. According to voter registration in precincts, as one example,
the DEF party could allocate funding for local DEF party activities,
if the DEF vote in those precincts were according to a certain
pattern, say D=E=F>A>B>C. Compliance would, of course, be voluntary,
but we are already assuming a party that votes totally coherently
(and the same exists on the other side). Suddenly there is a small
preference created for the preference pattern indicated, these voters
actually would prefer to see A elected more than B more than C. So if
they vote that way they are voting sincerely.

I am, to some extent, deconstructing the concept of voting preference
as it is often used to describe the behavior of methods. This really
becomes important, politically, when we come to the study of
so-called "strategic voting" in Range, where it is common to assert
contradictory conditions in an election scenario, and then claim some
benefit for "strategic voting."

If I have no preference between A and B, and a party with which I am
affiliated declares that A is preferable to B, for party purposes,
and depending on my relationship with and trust in that party, I may
well now have a preference. Conversely, if I have a preference, and
the party declares that giving any of a set of candidates a vote of
any strength at all is harmful, I may equal rate these candidates bottom.

*And it would be sincere.*

What is commonly done is to assert that there is really a preference,
but the "strategic voter" bullet votes, concealing the preference,
and, it is asserted, can thereby gain an advantage. Usually it is
neglected that such votes are actually hazardous; while the voter
might gain some advantage, in other situations the voter can lose
value in the result by concealing preference. It appears that,
generally, a sincere vote in Range, properly defined, is as good as a
so-called strategic vote, overall, in a zero-knowledge election.

And that bullet voting can be powerful is most obvious if we look at
a full knowledge choice made by a voter. The voter either knows that
the voter's vote is moot, that it cannot change the outcome, or the
voter knows that the voter may create or break a tie, and sometimes
more than one tie, so it is totally ordinary that the voter would
vote to maximize personal utility, which, in this case, will have
negligible effect on overall utility, since, without this voter's
vote we were either at or within one vote of a tie.

We *want* voters to vote to maximize their personal expected outcome.
If a voter thinks that outcome will be maximized by voting a certain
way in Range, that is actually how the voter should vote! However,
with zero knowledge, there are powerful reasons for voting
intermediate preferences, and, even with full knowledge, there would
be reasons for voting such middle preferences, as long as it did not
impact the outcome negatively for the voter. For example, if the real
pairwise election is between A and B, and I have a preference, I will
bullet vote within that pair, but I can vote however I like with
regard to all other candidates, there is no reason *not* to give
intermediate ratings. They are moot for determining the winner, but
they may help my personal cause politically.