[Election-Methods] RE : Corrected "strategy inCondorcet" section

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Sat Aug 18 11:03:24 PDT 2007

At 12:41 PM 8/17/2007, Dave Ketchum wrote:
>Paul's words are tempting, for this exchange has little to do with
>desirability of Condorcet, or of margins vs WV.

That is true.

>Looking closer, the votes are:
>       1000 A>B>C=D
>       1000 C>D>A=B
>          1 D>B>A=C
>
>2000 voters rate A vs C as a tie, only agreed that B and D should lose.
>
>The one vote agrees to the A vs C tie, but mostly muddies the water.

That also is true.

>So, a not believable election tally gets debated for weeks.

Dave is on a streak....

The example is one where most methods would assert a tie. Range might
not, but we cannot predict how these voters would vote in Range, nor
in Approval. However, there is one fairly easy assumption about
Approval: you would not see any significant number of triple
approvals. But how many bullet votes you would see, I don't know. If
the truncation indicates some significant preference gap, we could get

       1000 A, B
       1000 C, D
          1 D, B

In which case it is a tie between B and D.

One serious flaw in the study of elections through specific scenarios
is that they neglect completely, sometimes, the extreme rarity of the
scenario being studied. This scenario requires a thousand voters in
two camps to all vote identically, exactly, no exceptions.

Now there is one way to understand this election. Suppose it is
Approval+PW, as I have more recently defined it. And there are only
two voters, each with 1000 votes to cast, i.e., it is Range 1000.

Even if these are individual voters, it is quite realistic to presume
that, since they vote so identically, they would naturally form a
party which can internally generate consensus. Or party discipline
can enforce it, our studies of election methods frequently disregard
such details, such as whether or not secret ballot is being used.

So, looking at this as two voters only, they have voted in Range 1000:

1: A 1000+, B 1000, C 0,     D 1,    and
2: A, 0,    B 1,    C 1000+, D 1000

(I have assumed something that I've proposed, which is that it is
possible, on the ballot, to express a preference that does not affect
the rating, I generally call this Plus. A+, then, uses and Approval
ballot and a Plus indicator (which is also overvotable, but I suspect
that few would use it that way). How the Plus indicator is used is a
separate question.)

This is actually quite a reasonable scenario, excepting only the
rarity of such exact ties. A and B candidates are affiliated with the
first party, and C and D with the second, but the two camps wanted to
indicate, with their votes, a very small preference for one candidate
from the opposing camp. If there is a spectrum here, B and D are
toward the center. Not enough, however, to cause party members from
the far end of the spectrum to drop their ratings (this is not
particularly believable), since they *did* drop the ranking, they did
not top-rank equal, and they *all* had the same internal ranking.

And with this understanding of the votes, which *could* be an
expression of utilities that would explain the votes, we can see that
it really is a two way tie, in Range analysis, and a two-way tie in
preference analysis, with the two winners being equal. Preference
analyis strongly indicates that the pairwise election, the tie that
must be resolved, is between A and B, by a large margin. Range
analysis indicates, however, that a runoff would be between C and D,
since they each got a slightly higher total score, due to the vary
small rating preference expressed.

In Range with pairwise-detected runoff, which I've recommended, there
are two Range winners, and two preference winners who beat both of
the Range winner. In real elections, this would be extraordinarily
rare. Now, this scenario represents, really, two distinct parties. I
expressed that with two voters. How would these voters resolve the question?

The scenario shows, ultimately, the shortcomings of election methods
in general, they should be considered devices of convenience only,
never to be considered superior -- except in efficiency under some
conditions -- to deliberation and negotiation. These two parties
seriously need to work it out together, or agree to toss a coin, and
perhaps toss coins more than once....