[Election-Methods] RE : Corrected "strategy in Condorcet" section

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Wed Aug 15 21:24:35 PDT 2007

At 03:24 PM 8/15/2007, Juho wrote:

>Last October I wrote about ranked preferences, i.e. ballots like
>approval like divisions. I think the concept is theoretically pretty
>but I'm not sure if the full set of capabilities is ever needed in
>practice and if the complexity can be justified with the achieved
>benefits.

Ranked ballots that allow equal ranking are vastly superior in
performance to those that prohibit it, for a number of reasons, one
of which can be addressed with automated voting equipment, others can't.

And, of course, there are reasons to avoid "automated voting
equipment," generally.

Three reasons are:

(1) If you prohibit overvoting at a rank, you will see an increased
number of spoiled ballots, for various reasons. Some of them are
purely errors, others are deliberate. Voters don't always understand
the rules, and I've never seen a ballot that said, "Vote for more
than one and your ballot will be invalidated." (Sometimes the rules,
as I have seen with IRV rules, only discard votes at the equal ranked
level or below.) Allowing equal ranking preserves more of voter
intent than discarding the overvotes.

(Generally. Consider Florida 2000; due to misleading ballot design,
there were many Gore/Buchanan overvotes. Counting the votes would
have given some extra votes to Buchanan, which would have been
harmless. Almost certainly, these were votes intended for Gore. Now,
it could be argued that they were intended for Buchanan -- though
that's very unlikely in the case -- and thus that it would be unfair
to give the votes to Gore. However, by presuming that the voter erred
and that we cannot therefore discern the voter's intent, we discard
what the voter has actually expressed. Other votes, for example, may
have been cast for Buchanan and the voter did not realize that the
ballot was misleading. We should take the ballots as writ.)

(2) Forced ranking introduces noise.

(3) Allowing equal ranking brings the method closer in S.U.
maximization to Range. Generally, ranked methods force a single
preference step; except at the bottom, no other preference
distinction is permitted. Allowing equal preference turns a ranked
method into Approval, should a voter decide to only use the first
rank. Or into Approval at any lower rank. I.e., this is my Favorite,
but if not this one, then any of these would be acceptable. This
could fix center squeeze in IRV.