[Election-Methods] Response to Schudy re Range vs Approval voting

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Tue Aug 7 13:13:19 PDT 2007

At 02:01 AM 8/7/2007, Juho wrote:
[I wrote:]
>>Most election methods would give this election to Gore, period.
>>Gore is the Condorcet winner. But Nader is arguably the best
>>winner. In a situation like this, I'd trigger a runoff between Gore
>>and Bush.

That was a typo. I meant Gore and Nader, of course.

>>This constant argument that Range gives too much power to extreme
>>voters is truly bizarre.
>
>Bush and Gore have the same number of first preference votes and the
>voters are planning to give (maybe strategically) max and min votes
>to these candidates. Nader supporters however seem to prefer Gore to
>Bush, which makes the Gore position stronger.

As it should. Terming the giving of max and min votes to the
favorite/worst among the frontrunners "strategic" is misleading. We
use the term "normalized" for this because it doesn't have the
implications of "strategic," which with other methods refers,
generally, to reversing preferences. It is *never* strategically
advantageous in Range to reverse preferences. Now, Range+PW, I'll
call it, is a hybrid method, so theoretically, in the Condorcet side,
there could be strategic motivation. However, that would be giving up
the Range side. While certainly I have not done an exhaustive
analysis, I seriously doubt that reversal motivation exists in the
combination method. Hmm.... maybe a little. A vote of 99 and a vote
of 100 are almost the same in Range, trivial difference. *If* there
were certain conditions, it's conceivable that one would reverse
these.... but it doesn't seem very plausible to me.

>With the given numbers (that are maybe from a poll)

No, these were intended to be election results, I think.

>  this will be a
>very close race and therefore anything can happen at the election
>day. But if we assume that the given numbers will hold the Gore
>supporters have a strategic option to give Nader 0 points and win.
>Isn't this giving more power to Gore supporters if they are more
>extreme?

But they vastly outnumber the Nader supporters. "Giving them a
strategic advantage" is a strange terminology for using a method that
*allows* them to rate Nader highly enough that, together with the
Republicans, they could allow Nader to win. Nader only has a chance
if the Gore supporters actually think he is good, enough of them.
Note, again, I don't think Juho has picked up on this, the Gore votes
may be all over the spectrum, with some almost favoring Nader and
some rating him zero. Who in the world is to say that any of these
votes is insincere?

Giving someone rating points is giving them votes. Range 100 is like
having 100 votes, to cast in an Approval election. If Range gives
some putative advantage to "strategic voters," so too does Approval,
to blocks of same. It is an imaginary objection to Range, accusing it
of fomenting what other methods *require*.

And Range+PW really does provide the best of both worlds, and the
retention of pairwise significance should encourage some degree of
discrimination in the votes. I.e., pure exaggeration, voting Approval
style, is giving up the power of the pairwise comparison. So those
Gore supporters, most of them, would not rate Nader at zero. They
would rate him, perhaps at 1 or more, thus showing preference, but
very little Range power.