[EM] Student government - what voting system to recommend?

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Apr 25 03:35:52 PDT 2007

Ok, your example demonstrates a case where Condorcet elects someone
who is not liked very much (but majority would change e.g. the
Democrat candidate to PW if they were allowed to do that).

I note that the name "Professional Wrestler" is not very natural name
in the example since people that are called "PW"s are generally
considered not to be good politicians. Therefore PWs would probably
be ranked more often at the last position (e.g. 10 D 2 R 0 PW). So,
the end result is not as bad as it seems. The PW must be a very good
PW. (Same with OMRLP.)

As you said, Condorcet and IRV don't see the ratings. I give another
example of IRV. C=Centrist, ER=ExtremeRight, EL=ExtremeLeft. (I use
the slightly exaggerating word "extremist" (although I just
complained about use of "PW" above) to make it clear that there is no
exact match to the main parties of current two-party systems.)

34% - 10 ER 8 C 0 EL
34% - 10 EL 8 C 0 ER
32% - 10 C 5 EL 0 ER

IRV first drops C and then elects EL. The centrist candidate would
have been a quite good end result, also from sincere ratings point of
view.

One more example on Range (that takes the ratings into account but is
vulnerable to some strategies). The example is as above but the
numbers are a bit different to make it clear who the "font runners" are.

Sincere opinions:
40% - 10 ER 8 C 0 EL
40% - 10 EL 8 C 0 ER
20% - 10 C 5 EL 0 ER

Actual ballots when voters exaggerate their votes and apply Approval
style strategy after observing that EL and ER are the "major
candidates" / "front runners" (and after assuming that the final
decision will be between these two):
40% - 10 ER 0 C 0 EL
40% - 10 EL 0 C 0 ER
20% - 10 C 10 EL 0 ER

Range picks EL as the winner. The sincere opinions would have given C
the best score but strategies changed the situation.

In summary, all methods have some problems. One needs to estimate
which problems are lesser and which worse. Use of ratings would maybe
be nice, but in competitive elections (where giving sincere ratings
means losing power) methods like Condorcet seem to perform better.
Condorcet allows the majority to rule and make decisions where the
sum of utilities is actually smaller that what electing the proposal
of the minority would have given. Out of the ranking based methods
Condorcet seems to me to perform better than IRV. (But if you need
IRV to make the case easy to explain, that is maybe not a
catastrophic move. :-)

Juho