[EM] Student government - what voting system to recommend?

Tim Hull timhull2 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 03:42:06 PDT 2007

I know closed and open party list systems are different in that voters can
influence what party candidates are elected.  However, I'm shying away from
that because it ties every vote to a party and makes it count towards other
party candidates - even if some candidates in the same party may have vast
differences (as they tend to in our system at times).   Also, when I talk of
IRV, I'm only talking of the single-winner variant.  I didn't even know
there WAS a multi-winner IRV as distinct from STV.  I'm assuming this is
just STV without the transfers of surplus votes - am I right?

Just to clarify the situation, there is somewhere in the neighborhood of 47
representatives on the Assembly.  They are currently elected
in two elections (half in each of them) - the President is elected in the
Winter term one.  The representatives are divided into constituencies based
on school/college.  The largest such division has 19 representatives,
followed by 7 for the next largest, followed by a 6-seat one, a 3-seat one,
and several 1 and 2 seat ones.  I am currently not proposing to change this
- I would merely use a PR system under the current setup in each
constituency. I MAY propose eliminating the "midterm" election, though - it
tends to attract low turnout as-is, and electing all seats at once would
increase proportionality.

Anyway, as you can see the multi-winner case is the largest concern - and it
really seems like STV is the runaway winner there.  As far as STV rules, I'm
currently thinking standard fractional-transfer STV with voters allowed as
many rankings as there are open seats allowed.  That would limit rankings,
but would keep the ballot the same as it is currently (as it is, you rank as
many as there is open seats, and Borda is used). Single-winner is tougher,
but I think I'd use IRV or Plurality there to avoid confusion concerning
different single-winner and multi-winner election systems.

Any more thoughts?

P.S. Here is why I don't like Condorcet - it allows weak or eccentric
centrists to win.
Consider the following example:  a Republican, a Democrat, and a pro
wrestler are running for U.S. president

Votes are as follows

48% - Democrat/Pro Wrestler/Republican
5% - Pro Wrestler/Democrat/Republican
47% - Republican/Pro Wrestler/Democrat

The pro wrestler beats the Democrat, 52-48, and the Republican 53-47, and
thus wins. Under IRV, the Democrat would have won.  The only system other
than IRV that I know of that doesn't suffer this issue is Range/Approval...