[EM] PR in student government...

Howard Swerdfeger electorama.com at howard.swerdfeger.com
Mon Apr 16 10:58:05 PDT 2007

> Approval and range wouldn't work any better than our existing system, as
> they aren't proportional (i.e. one slate can sweep seats easily).  It does
> seem like STV is best - however, it does seem harder to explain than the
> existing system.  How would MMP be done, anyway - especially with uneven
> constituencies?

my assumption when proposing mmp was that you had one rep per faculty.
there is something called stv-mmp

http://video.google.ca/videosearch?q=stv-mmp

but I think it adds un-needed complications.

but given all the information so far, I think I would agree with you STV
is probably the way to go.

but as a second choice that is easier to explain and count.
Consider "Regional Open List".
This is Proportional, Easier for the voter to understand, Easier to count!