[EM] PR in student government...

Howard Swerdfeger electorama.com at howard.swerdfeger.com
Mon Apr 16 10:33:35 PDT 2007

Tim Hull wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I e-mailed this list a while back about election methods in student
> government.  I'm at the University of Michigan, and we use a variant of the
> Borda count for our elections where you get as many votes as open seats.
> Slates of candidates typically contest elections as "parties", and most
> discussion of elections revolves around these parties.
>
> Anyway, the system as-is works better than at-large plurality, but it still
> leaves much to be desired.  The biggest problem with the current system is
> that the largest party slate always wins a disproportionately high
> number of
> seats - so large, in fact, that competition has generally withered away.
>
> As a result, I'm looking at proportional representation systems - and
> possibly introducing one as a ballot initiative for next year. However, I
> have experienced great trouble in finding a system that people like.
> Single
> Transferable Vote seems ideal, but it has the drawback of being complex
> (and, as a result, hard for people to comprehend).  Party lists are
> simpler,
> but they force voters to support an entire party - not ideal at all.

I would say that from my perspective at least STV is much easer for the
voter to understand (what has to be done on the ballot) then Borda
count, Although Borda is usually easer to count, once all the voting is
done.

you don't actually mention in this email what is being elected. but
assuming is is some type of council with all members having the same
rank and 3-5 seats are coming up for grabs at a time.

I would recommend STV, approval or range, I really dislike party list
systems. But they are at least more palatable when done in a best looser
  method.

If you recommend range make sure it is simple.
ie 1-5 range with instructions to circle the best answer.
you should also allow the voter to Leave a candidate blank.

However, if your elections include positions like
Science Rep, Arts Rep, Engineering Rep, etc...
I would suggest a version of MMP with a best looser method of top up.

good luck