[EM] PR in student government...

Tim Hull timhull2 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 10:24:00 PDT 2007

We do have district elections, though the "districts" are the various
schools/colleges at the University (Literature Science & Arts, Engineering,
Business, etc).  These have seats proportional to the number of students in
the school, with a minimum of 1 seat for each school.  Literature, Science,
& Arts (LSA), the largest school, gets 19 seats, followed by the Rackham
Graduate School with 7, Engineering with 6, Business with 3, and the smaller
colleges with 2 or 1 depending on size.  These seats are also further
divided between two yearly elections (for instance, LSA elects 10 in the
spring and 9 in the fall).

Currently, if I were to propose STV it would be with the existing divisions
and electoral cycles.  Obviously, there wouldn't be proportionality in the
single-member districts, though these schools are generally won by
independent write-in candidates that aren't part of a major party slate due
to their small size and the fact that these students are typically less
interested in student government. It doesn't seem like it would be that
large of an issue to just use IRV (or even plurality) for these seats.
However, 75% of the seats (and around 90% of those who actually SHOW UP at
meetings) are in the larger schools with multi-member districts.  Those also
happen to be the ones that are dominated by the party slates...

The problem, of course, seems to be selling people on STV.  I'm only one
person, and though I'm an elected representative (and thus can introduce a
resolution), I do need 2/3 of the other representatives to vote for this in
order to hold a referendum to adopt it.  That is the problem - they see the
existing ranking system (points-based) as "simple" compared to the complex
transfers of STV.  In fact, STV was actually used at one point and scrapped
for this very reason (though this was 20 years ago back when paper ballots
were still used).

Any other suggestions?

Tim