[EM] proportional vote - proportional term

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 3 10:06:09 PDT 2007

Hi,

Some quick observations.

- As Chris says, the level of proportionality with respect to
different "opinion groups" gets lower when the number of candidates
elected at one time gets smaller. Two would be a quite low number.

- The candidates that are elected first are not necessarily "more
popular" than the ones that will be elected later. The first elected
candidate could be e.g. form a smallish "party" but with only one
candidate, which leads to electing him/her first.

- I think STV is good for elections where we don't want to emphasize
the grouping of candidates to "separate parties" and for elections
where the candidates are quite well known by the voters (their
viewpoints are well known). Your Board could fit in this framework
quite nicely.

Juho Laatu