[EM] election-methods Digest, Vol 34, Issue 22

raphfrk at netscape.net raphfrk at netscape.net
Thu Apr 19 08:09:01 PDT 2007

  RE: [EM] Tim Hull's PR method
 Warren Smith wds at math.temple.edu
 > > 1. Voters vote for up to n candidates - n being either # of open seats or # of candidates
 > > 2. Each voter has one vote equally and evenly divided among the candidates they voted for.
 > > 3. After doing the first count, eliminate the candidate with the fewest votes.
 > > 4. Recount all ballots, dividing votes equally and evenly among *remaining candidates only*
 > > 5. Repeat Steps 3 and 4 until there are only as many candidates remaining as there are open seats.
 > > 6. The remaining candidates shall be declared elected.
 > >
 > > Any comments on this method?
 > --
 >
 > WDS: it seems to me this method is not PR in the sense that voters who vote
 > for single candidate risk having their votes wiped out, and this other problem:
 >
 > EXAMPLE:
 > there are 10 Dems & 10 Repubs running for 10 seats.
 > The voters are 51% Dem and 49% Repub.
 > Each Repub voter votes for all 10
 > Repubs (who thus initially each get 0.1 vote).
 > Each Dem voter voters 100% for just one Dem - Bill Clinton. Really
 > the Dem voters feel
 > Clinton > all other Dems > all Repubs,
 > but this voting scheme does not allow them to express that feeling, so they
 > give it all to Clinton.
 >
 > Result: 9 Dems eliminated, then 1 repub eliminated, then
 > the 10 winners are Clinton + 9 repubs.
 >
 > The problem here is that the Dem voters are "pickier" than the Repub voters.
 > A lot of PR-design-attempts run onto this kind of reef.

 I think it has the same problems as PR-STV where surpluses are not transferred. A
 voter wastes the excess of his vote if he votes for someone who is elected.

 > Well, actually, Hull's method *is* PR in the sense that if voters are assumed to
 > vote for candidates of their "color" only, and for all of them -
 > then winner-counts end up proportional.
 >
 > That's nice. It's kind of a PR generalization of "approval voting."

 It is similar to PR-STV with equal rankings, except that only 2 ranks are allowed and
 there are no surplus transfers, only eliminations. (So maybe not so similar :) ).

 In PR-STV with equal rankings allowed, is it normal to re-calculate the fraction when
 a candidate is eliminated (or elected)?

    Raphfrk
 Interesting site
 "what if anyone could modify the laws"