[EM] Convex districts: a simple mathematical solution to gerrymandering?

Brian Olson bql at bolson.org
Fri Sep 1 13:59:33 PDT 2006

"Convex" is too simplistic. The maps don't actually break down that way
because the census measures population on millions of little "blocks" and
you have to build up districts by ammassing those blocks.

It would be fair to try and describe a desireable border or shape in other
ways though. I'm pushing for "minimize the average distance of each person
to the center of their district." I have a solver and some results here:

http://bolson.org/dist/

Brian Olson
http://bolson.org/