[EM] Convex districts: a simple mathematical solution to gerrymandering?

Steve Barney barnes992001 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 1 12:04:42 PDT 2006

It seems to me that a requirement that districts have to be convex
may make gerrymandering significantly more difficult. Is that a good
idea? I suppose we would have to make allowance for non-convex
natural borders, of course, but perhaps such a rule could be imposed
to the extent it is possible. Is anybody aware of any political
jursidiction that has adopted such a requirement?

Steve Barney
Oshkosh, WI