[EM] zohopolls, web poll tech

Brian Olson bql at bolson.org
Mon Sep 25 05:47:54 PDT 2006

Hmm. I'm running a competing site, betterpolls.com, with better technology
on the back end, but perhaps not quite as shiny on the front end.

Is 5 stars better than -10 to 10 popup? The pluses for 5 star is that you
graphically see all your votes at once, and it's less mousing. -10 to 10
popup gives better resolution, and is implicitly un-ambiguous about what
no-vote choices get. The instructions on that zohopolls page imply to me
that 1 star is actually the lowest vote possible, lower than no-start
(no-vote).

On the back end betterpolls counts by 5 methods, not just strategy prone
raw rating summation, and also presents histograms and I'm working on yet
more when you enable the "tag the vote" feature which allows poll takers
to self-identify.

Who is zohopolls? I'd rather keep things "in the family" of election
methods activists and go with CIVS (
http://www.cs.cornell.edu/andru/civs.html ) or my site, but maybe that's
just groundless paranoia.

Brian Olson