[EM] advocacy by means of exit polls

Stephen Turner smturner0 at yahoo.es
Fri Sep 1 12:49:57 PDT 2006

I am aware of the controversy surrounding
the 2004 U.S. Presidential election in Ohio
and elsewhere.  I live in Spain and won't
comment on this more.

"Highly reliable" was meant to mean that
the result of the exit poll would nearly
always be quite close to the result of
a (correct) count of the votes.  Among
the things that may go wrong, are:
- it is more difficult to get things right
  when a race is close
- people can feel social pressure not
  to tell the truth (someone mentioned this).

Neither of these is peculiar to
exit polls, they affect all types.

If _all_ the Ohio exit polls were wrong
in the same direction, then it is less likely that the
first of those factors was the sole cause.

In the UK in the 1980s and 1990s (when I voted
there), it seems that some respondees did not want to
admit they had voted/would vote for the Conservatives.
--
Stephen