[EM] Majority Criterion poor standard for elections

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Tue Oct 24 21:07:30 PDT 2006

At 01:28 AM 10/24/2006, Juho wrote:
>One could develop voting methods where knowledgeable voters have more
>weight than uninformed voters.

This is actually done, by layering the system. I don't vote directly
on legislation, for example, except rarely when there is an
initiative on which the general public votes.

But we are talking about elections. Ultimately, I favor, as many
readers know, delegable proxy and methods which work like delegable
proxy, like Asset Voting. This should, in fact, have the effect of
giving more weight to "knowledgeable voters," but there is a crucial
aspect: this is done by free choice of the voters. They *choose* to
delegate their vote to a specific person. Nobody forces them, nobody
says to them, "your vote doesn't count as much as anyone else's."
And, in fact, their vote *does* count as much as anyone else's, in a
delegable proxy system. Generally, I would allow direct voting on
issues. But most people, I believe, would greatly prefer to delegate
votes to those who have the time to study the issues, and whose
judgement is trusted. I know I would.

*As long as my choice is not coerced in any way.*

However, again, we are talking about election methods, per se. And
methods which ignore strength of preference cannot maximize social
utility. The data simply is not there. And if strength of preference
is considered, there goes the Majority Criterion....