[EM] Disproportionate or proportionate representation system

BABA NAM KEVALAM subscribed-lists at ways-ahead.net
Mon Oct 23 04:55:22 PDT 2006

This would be my conclusion that the system (below) creates a
disproportionate voting system, not a proportionate voting system.  In fact,
it is a system of weightage, as it can give more seats than actually match
the proportionate numbers in a category in the electoral college.

There is only proportion if there are 24:24:12 persons (or higher number of
persons, but in same ratio) in each category of the electoral college, and
no one can guarantee that this will always be so, let alone where anyone may
even be categorised in the first place, or who is going to do the
categorization.

24:24:12 will give you 2:2:1 but clearly if there are actually 30:20:10
persons in each category, still it is intended to produce 2:2:1 (when it
should be producing 3:2:1), then there is a disproportionate voting system
for some, and weightage in favour of minorities. Same if there are 35:20:5 -
it does not give 2:2:1 - so it is disproportionate - but still they want the
votes to come out 2:2:1 (when it should be 7:4:1).  Ultimately when the
numbers do not stack up, someone is really taking advantage of someone
else's portion of the election rights.  To cloak the real facts - ie what
the statistics are on the ground - the artificiality of 3 groupifications is
invented pretending they represent 2:2:1, when that may not even be the
truth when one actually counts the real figures.  No one knows that the
numbers in the 3 groupifications will always actually be in ratio 2:2:1 (or
even within the 5% margin of error acceptable in statistics) and no one will
know or be able to judge in the future.

  _____