[EM] IFNOP Method (was Re: Question about Condorcet methods)

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Thu Oct 19 06:54:16 PDT 2006

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 06:43:37 -0400 raphfrk at netscape.net wrote:
> From: davek at clarityconnect.com
>
>  > Given:
>  >   35 A>C
>  >   33 B>C
>  >   32 C
>  >
>  > I see:
>  >  IRV will discard C, letting A win.
>  >  Condorcet will see 65 C winning over 35 A
>  >

> The point is that the later no harm property means that there is no
> incentive to truncate your ballot.

There is a limit to adding new complications to an admittedly contrived
ballot (what we often do to make a point).

Condorcet and IRV usually agree as to winner.  My final vote described C
being liked MUCH better than A - a nearly 2:1 preference.

If a couple B voters had stayed home, IRV would have seen the C
preference.  Since their presence made IRV declare A (who was least liked
by them) the winner, they could join the crowd demanding Condorcet.

I started with 35 A - which gave the same results of the 2:1 preference
since Condorcet would have seen A>B>C>A, a cycle in which A>B and B>C are
near ties while C>A is stronger.

> If A's supporters changed to
>
> 35 A
> 33 B>c
> 32 C
>
> The result becomes
>
> A>B:  35 > 33
> A<C:  35 < 65
> B>C:  33 > 32
>
> Thus, A supporters have shifted the vote from a C win to a tie (which
> is an improvement, unless B wins the tie-break).  Thus, it is in their
> interests to truncate, if their ranking is A>>>C>B.

I mentioned this vote above - that it does not matter here what the A
voters do about truncating.

If enough B voters truncated, A would be the agreed winner.  It is their
indicated preference of C over A that Condorcet sees in declaring a win for C.

> The end result may be that voters will start truncating/bullet
> voting, getting us back to plurality.

The ability to rank has MUCH value - it permits ranking TRUE first choice
as first, while usually protecting against worst lemons winning.  Even
with the ability, voters will often find bullet voting to fully express
their desires - forcing such voters to express more opinions than they
have can easily provide useless noise.

>  > I LIKE Condorcet. What does this mean below?
>
> I was saying that to preserve the later no harm property, you must do
> something like IRV.

If "later no harm" is an argument against reading all that the voter says,
then I DO NOT see it as a valuable property.

> This results in a loss of access to some of the ranking information, but
>  at least it doesn't create an incentive to not rank candidates.

As some of the above shows, IRV often ignores ranking.  Condorcet always
reads it, sometimes thus more accurately responding to voter desires.

> The other option is to make it compulsory to rank all candidates.

TWO results:
      Annoy all the voters.
      Get only destructive noise when demanding more expression by voters
than some of them have any interest in expressing.

> Actually, would randomly completing uncompleted ballots create an
> incentive to fully rank all the candidates even in condorcet ?

Another way to introduce destructive noise from a combination of voter
response and machine generated noise.
>  >
>  > DWK
>

> Raphfrk