[EM] 3ballot - revolutionary new protocol for secure secret ballot elections

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Oct 13 08:28:18 PDT 2006

On Oct 9, 2006, at 1:15 , Dave Ketchum wrote:

> Is 3ballot worth the pain?

I think Rivest proved the concept to work. He obviously also tried to
make the method as usable as possible. Wether benefits are bigger
than pain may depend on where the system is used. In countries with
no tradition of foul play there may be no need to use it. But in
countries where foul play is common in the counting process the
benefits could be sufficient.

It is also possible to simplify the method (trade out some unneeded
features). See one method at the end of the mail.

> Does it REALLY provide the claimed service?

Yes, I think so. Usability might be questionable like you pointed
out. Some risks remain like malicious software, when compared to
traditional paper based methods, but I didn't see any major holes in
the method.

> Does it complicate the voters' lives?

In its original form, yes. Increased trust on the method might
compensate some of the pain.

> Is it compatible with Condorcet?  I remain a backer for Condorcet's
> combining capability with tolerable complexity.

I think yes, but unfortunately it is more difficult to serve
Condorcet than e.g. plurality (one has to trade a bit with complexity
and/or privacy since the Condorcet ballot format is not as easy to
split in separate votes).

> Is it worth bothering with without demanding a TRUE voting machine
> for its
> installation?  ABSOLUTELY NOT, for there are too many ways to
> falsify the
> counting!

I think Rivest managed to keep the voting machine quite simple, which
reduces the risk. But whenever there are machines involved one needs
to be very careful. I favour manual methods in most cases (Rivest
said so too) but if machines clearly bring benefits, then they must
be ok.

> Given a TRUE voting machine, why add 3ballot?  ZERO value in this
> effort.

I think ThreeBallot does good job in defending against foul play in
the vote counting process. I don't know what you exactly mean with a
TRUE voting machine but maybe any kind of machines could be improved.
The voting machines could be thoroughly and neutrally tested and
sealed and be based on open source code. If they collect all the
results in electronic format they could be connected to Internet and
memory sticks immediately after the voting ends and results would be
public after that. Hard drives and/or memory could be destroyed if
needed. Paper trail is still possible also in the machine based
scenarios.

> ps, As to privacy, I read of video-camera phones.  Their usage has
> to be
> tricky - can they verify a voter's actual vote as such without voting
> machine operation being set up compatible with such?

Yes, video cameras are a relevant threat. Vote buying and coercion
can be implemented with them. Additional defences against these
should take into account also the existence of the video camera and
still camera threat. One simple way to defend against video cameras
is btw to ban them and make voters aware of this. At least the voter
could tell to the coercer that she could not record the voting event
since she was not allowed to. One could put the voting machines in a
place where others can see the voter but not how she votes.

> ps, quoting:  "I doubt there is a voting system in existence that is
> immune from enough vote verification to support vote buying or
> coercion"
>       The lever machines I have been voting on all my life are
> immune, for
> they keep NONE of the records of interest.

I don't know what kind of machines you have used but I have a feeling
that also they might be vulnerable to recording the whole voting
event with a video camera.

Some more words about the complexity of the method. I'll give one
example of an alternative and simpler method. How do you evaluate the
usability/complexity of this method?
- the voting machine puts one copy of each ballot in one basket and
several receipt copies of it in another basket
     - we may have several ballots per voter if we use ThreeBallot
style ballots (receipt copies could be made of all of them)
     - or alternatively only one if that is secure enough (could suit
your needs)
     - it is also possible that the voter gives only her opinion to
the machine and the machine then generates more complex ballots
       (three or maybe broken into separate "rows")
       (also Condorcet based votes could be split this way)
- the voting machine has no memory
- the first basket contains the results of the election
- the second basket is used for distributing receipts
- the receipts will be distributed to interested people, limited
number of random receipts to each of them
     - there are several copies of the receipts and limitations in
the distribution to defend against receipt holders using them
maliciously
- the distribution may start right after the election is closed, or
when the basket contains many enough ballots to protect privacy

At least in basic plurality voting this method may be considerably
simpler than the one that Rivest described (numbers based ballots
with negative votes, as discussed by Warren Smith and Michael Rouse
on this list).

Distributing personal receipts is also possible but maybe not done if
simplicity is what we seek.

I assumed that the machine had no memory. If it had, I'd recommend
full publicity of the right after the voting closes.

Any chances of making the "receipt style" methods simple enough for you?

Juho Laatu